Wednesday 10 October 2012

APPEARANCES ARE DECEPTIVE


The sun was high in the sky when I reached the bus stop.  The sun's rage couldn't intimidate the people who were waiting for the bus. I joined the pool as well to spend my next 15 to 20 minutes there.  Here comes my bus -- a direct bus to where I stay; sorry, sorry only direct to my place!! With a sigh of relief, I boarded the bus though it was overcrowded as usual. I swam through the pool of people and finally located a place where I can stay comfortably for next 40-50 minutes of my travel. 
The time for fun had started for me. I always enjoy gazing the activities, the bus brawl, and chitty chat of the lovers (though I can't hear it) etc.  If you want to gain worldly knowledge on bad words, I'd suggest bus travel is the best option for you!! :P .  I killed sometime gazing these people; well, I dedicated my next part of travel for seat-hunting!! So, I started scrutinizing the nearby seat where I was standing.
I saw two women were sitting in the nearby seat and to talking to each other. I looked at them; they both looked thin, dark and their hair was not properly groomed with oil. They wore a dirty-colored sari, which wasn't draped properly around their body. That helped to see the patched works which has been done already. I detested the sight of seeing them for a minute. Then I felt sorry for what I thought.
 One of the two women was talking little loudly and attracted the attention. I tried to concentrate on her talk but I couldn't understand a word, though she was speaking a well-known language.  Plus, people of this kind never answer properly and kindly. So, I ignored my idea of asking them where they going to get down.
Again I hunted for the empty places, the next-stop getting down passengers, male sitting in the female seats etc. for a while. But my hunt was a failure!!
 I was totally exhausted. I was desperate to breathe in some good air through the small gaps but it was no use. I had gone pale without air. I, finally, hit the floor unconscious.
After sometime,
I heard a bleak and thin voice of woman talking to someone. She was asking something to someone. I was not the position to listen or to take a glimpse at the lady. All I, understood was that she was telling someone to sit and drink some water.
It was strange that almost every eye in the bus were staring at me. I was sort of felt discomfort. But, I was offered a seat to sit and relax; a lady was assisting me to drink water handing it over to me.  It all looked weird for a second.
She asked me, "How are you feeling now?"
I nodded. She offered me to sit near window. I accepted it gratefully without speaking a word to her.
It took me some time to come back to my steady state of memory. I saw, the crowd was considerably lessened and eyes watching me were no more looked at me. I breathed fresh air which plunged into my lungs. I was relieved.
I noticed the woman who offered her seat and water to me sitting next to me and smiling gracefully; I smiled back gratefully.  It was the same woman, whom I loathed at the sight.
She asked, "Where are you going to get down?" I answered her question.
WAIT A MINUTE!!
She talked to me. How come I suddenly understood her language? She was no more talking in the unrecognized slang.
Was she talking with me in English all the while?? Or was I dreaming??!
I realized whatever happened in the bus wasn't a dream because I could see her sitting beside me with her poise look and untidy clothes. What is an odd thing!! Yes, she is talking with me in English. I was totally appalled.  I couldn't believe the fact that someone whose looks are dirty and who couldn't speak a local language properly was talking to me in English fluently with no flaws. Above all, I disgusted her few minutes ago. But now I started wondering and giving respect to her!!!
 After that I didn't get much time to talk with her, she got down some four to five stopping before my destination.
That is, when I realized the saying, "You can't judge a book by its cover!!" How true it is!! 

3 comments:

  1. hey. hope u r OK. and nothing big. take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vidhya that happens...that happened with me once when an auto driver astonished me with a perfect english answer.

    ReplyDelete